Friday, March 30, 2012

Burkini

So, I've always been intriguing by Muslim women and their whole, "Fuck the beauty standard" thing.  That idea is intriguing, to be feminine, but to not give a shit how you look, because who the fuck do you have to impress?  western women like to feel beautiful, select clothes and make-up, shave, count calories, etc- and when you think about  it, that's time we could be spending curing cancer or whatever.  I'm not talking shira law bullshittery, I'm talking actual Muslim women who simply believe, as part of their moral code, that they got no one to impress, and if someone doesn't like it, they got a male bodyguard at all times to kick his ass so they don't get their hands dirty.  I can kind of get behind that.

But, I'm a true western woman, raised in the petticoat government, so the entire idea kind of goes against the cut of my gib, fucks up the grain and whatnot.  The idea that I would need a male bodyguard insults me, as it does many western women, because honestly, if I'm that scared, I'll pack a gun.  And I'm not modest.  It's just not my thing.

But that doesn't mean that I disrespect someone because it is their thing.  But it does raise a question- how do you go swimming?  If your goal is to cover everything, including your curves (many of these ladies are so modest that they won't wear anything form fitting even if it covers them head to toe) then that rules out even a swimsuit.  So I looked it up and found that many modest women simply don't swim.  Those that do, however, wear a swimsuit remniciant of the one that Sweeny Todd is wearing in By the Sea.  Those things are AWESOME.  I mean, they seriously are really pretty.

It's a swimsuit designed to be just as modest as a burka, and thus has been named the "burkini".  Some even have a veil that you can pull down if you don't want folk seeing your face for...  whatever reason.  I never did get that, you honestly think that you're so hot you don't want folk looking upon your beauty?  That's not bitchy at all...  but anyway- they look like minidresses and tights!  I would wear this sans hood, it's adorable.

I just wanted to let people know that these exist.  You can get them from http://www.burkini.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment